[OpenAFS] SuSe-RPMs

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:35:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> Actually, I don't believe there is any absolute requirement that AFS be
> started after ntp... You just can't use it until ntp has been started.

Actually, there is no dependency between AFS and ntp at all.  There is a
requirement that clocks be set correctly within 5 minutes for
authentication to work, but AFS can be used without authentication, and
time synchronization can be done in ways other than by running ntpd.

In any event, there's no need to enforce an ordering on the startup of AFS
and ntp; either the time will be set correctly well before any
authentication happens, or it won't be set correctly at all.