[OpenAFS] Newbie: Problems connection to my new cell: /afs: Operation timed out

Dominik Westner lists@logicunited.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:01:24 +0200

Hi Joseph,

yes, all my AFS servers running on 10.0.1.9.
I also have installed an AFS client on this system. Yes, I can access
/afs from this client. Everything seems fine from there.
Everything is behind a firewall, both the server and the mac os x
client. They have a direct ethernet connection.
I can access other cells from the mac os x client, with no problem, when
I change the clients cell to another cell, like andrew.cmu.edu for
example.
I can't access anything if I set ThisCell to nikwest, even if my
CellServDB contains other cells.

So my assumption is that there is still something wrong with my server,
but I don't know how to debug it.

Here is some of the status output I get on the mac os x client;

[icebox:OpenAFS/Tools/bin] dominik% ./fs listcells
Cell andrew.cmu.edu on hosts vice11.fs.andrew.cmu.edu
vice28.fs.andrew.cmu.edu vice7.fs.andrew.cmu.edu
vice12.fs.andrew.cmu.edu vice2.fs.andrew.cmu.edu.
Cell nikwest on hosts loki.home.nikwest.de.
[icebox:OpenAFS/Tools/bin] dominik%

[icebox:OpenAFS/Tools/bin] dominik% ./bos status loki
bos: no such entry (getting tickets)
bos: running unauthenticated
Instance kaserver, currently running normally.
Instance buserver, currently running normally.
Instance ptserver, currently running normally.
Instance vlserver, currently running normally.
Instance fs, currently running normally.
     Auxiliary status is: file server running.
Instance upserver, currently running normally.

I can login:
[icebox:OpenAFS/Tools/bin] dominik% ./klog -setpag -principal admin

[icebox:OpenAFS/Tools/bin] dominik% ./tokens

Tokens held by the Cache Manager:

User's (AFS ID 1) tokens for afs@nikwest [Expires Apr  3 12:22]
    --End of list--

and on the server:

loki bin # ./vos listvol loki
Total number of volumes on server loki partition /vicepaa: 2
root.afs                          536870912 RW          4 K On-line
root.cell                         536870915 RW          3 K On-line

Total volumes onLine 2 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0

Total volumes onLine 2 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0

Nothing seems to be wrong for me ... confusing ...

Dominik