[OpenAFS] Not a directory

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 14:00:17 -0500 (CDT)

> > Looks like after zapping the volume, you have a VLDB entry, but no actual
> > volume.  If you get rid of the VLDB entry, everything should work again.
> >
> > vos delentry 536870918      (to delete VLDB entry)
>
> Worked fine, it deleted one entry.. But I still get
>
> ----- s n i p -----
> [papadoc.pts/5]$ vos examine user.backup
> Could not fetch the information about volume 536870920 from the server
> : No such device
> Volume user.backup does not exist
>
> Dump only information from VLDB
>
> user
>     RWrite: 536870918
>     number of sites -> 1
>        server papadoc.bayour.com partition /vicepa RW Site

If you don't intend to recreate user.backup, then you might as well "fs
rmm /afs/.bayour/user.backup" to remove the mount point.

According to the above, you deleted both the volume and the VLDB entry,
but the entry still shows up in the VLDB.  Try doing the "vos delentry
536870918" again, but "vos examine user.backup" before syncing the VLDB
(the syncvldb step should not be needed).  Also, what does a "vos examine
user" give you?  Does it list the backup volume?

My only other suggestion, if you haven't tried it already, would be to
"bos restart papadoc vlserver" to restart the vlserver process.

> Yes. But you have to 'mount' the snapshot for it to be usefull, and if
> the new mountpoint is big, you need a tape to back it up to... :)

In general, you should have bos cron process that runs "vos backupsys"
daily to create backup volumes for everything.  This can be done
independently of implementing a tape-backup system.  If you can't get rid
of the VLDB entry for user.backup, then I strongly suggest trying to
recreate the volume with a "vos backup user".  If you have no desire to
keep the volume, then delete it "properly" with a "vos remove papadoc
vicepa user.backup".

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]