[OpenAFS] Consistency problems with VLDB?

keegan ice@subloop.respond2.com
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:19:28 -0700

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

Nathan,

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 09:39:26PM -0500, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
> Quick and easy you can probably 'vos dump' the volume to a file, 'vos
> remove' all traces of it, and then 'vos restore' the volume from the
> dump.
>=20
> The other thing you might try is 'vos remove'ing all the readonlys on
> rune, and then doing a vos release again. I'm not sure how you got
> multiple entries listed for the same host + partition, that's odd.=20

Thanks for your quick reply!  However, this oddity is, in fact,
the root of the problem.  After successive 'vos remove' operations for
the home and home.readonly volumes, 'vos examine home' returns:

Volume home does not exist in VLDB

Dump only information from VLDB

home
    ROnly: 536870925     RClone: 536870925
    number of sites -> 6
       server rune.lan.thebasement.org partition /vicepa RO Site  -- New re=
lease
       server rune.lan.thebasement.org partition /vicepa RO Site  -- Old re=
lease
       server rune.lan.thebasement.org partition /vicepa RO Site  -- Old re=
lease
       server rune.lan.thebasement.org partition /vicepa RO Site  -- Old re=
lease
       server rune.lan.thebasement.org partition /vicepa RO Site  -- Old re=
lease
       server rune.lan.thebasement.org partition /vicepa RO Site  -- Old re=
lease

Yet, 'vos remsite rune a home':

This site is not a replication site
Error in vos remsite command.
VOLSER: illegal operation

And 'vos remove rune a home.readonly' (and home):

Could not lock the VLDB entry for volume 536870925
VLDB: no such entry
Error in vos remsite command.
VLDB: no such entry

Volume 536870925 does not exist on server and partition
VOLSER: no such volume - location specified incorrectly or volume does not =
exist
Error in vos remove command.
VOLSER: no such volume - location specified incorrectly or volume does not =
exist

Is there a way to purge these strange VLDB entries other than
'vos remsite?'  That would at least let me use my volumes again.

This problem has been plaguing my AFS installation from the beginning.
I have survived by dealing with error messages from 'vos release' on a
regular basis, but I would really like to see something that would
prevent these seemingly erroneous VLDB entries from being created.

Thanks again,
  Keegan

--=20
Keegan Quinn  <ice@[subloop.respond2.com|thebasement.org]>
503.250.1882  http://www.thebasement.org/~ice/

PGP: 0x91F0657A  1EDE 2467 74A9 6FF0 687C  2194 44C5 2BDF 91F0 657A

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx--