[OpenAFS] Not a directory

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:44:54 -0500 (CDT)

> > If you don't intend to recreate user.backup, then you might as well "fs
> > rmm /afs/.bayour/user.backup" to remove the mount point.
>
> ----- s n i p -----
> [papadoc.pts/3]$ fs rmm /afs/.bayour/user.backup
> fs:'/afs/.bayour/user.backup': Not a directory
> ----- s n i p -----

Not sure what to say about that one... your cell is broken.

> Tried the syncvldb command (after all the commands below),
> and it synced the state with the server. Still the 'Connection
> timed out' error...

You may try specifying the volume name (or better yet, ID number) in the
syncvldb command.  That seemed to work for someone else with similar
problems in another thread.

> Oups!
> ----- s n i p -----
> [papadoc.pts/3]$ vos examine user
> VLDB: no such entry
> ----- s n i p -----

The above also seems to be a further symptom of your cell's brokenness.

> The data is still there though. *puhe*

Good!

> > In general, you should have bos cron process that runs "vos backupsys"
> > daily to create backup volumes for everything.  This can be done
> > independently of implementing a tape-backup system.
>
> I see. I thought I had to 'mount' it to be able to put it on tape... But
> if I have non-AFS FS' that I'd like to have on the same tape, then what?

Then you'd probably not want to use the AFS backup system.  You'll
probably want to use "vos dump" to backup your volumes individually.  In
that case, there's no reason to have a .backup volume, since "vos dump"
will dump any volume -- not just one ending in .backup.

I suppose I just find it handy to have a day-old copy of my home directory
mounted as ~/OldFiles.

Amusing Quote:
"More Famous Last Words: AFS OldFiles is enough revision control for me."
                                          -- The Cube

> Creating a backup volume for user worked, but how do I get rid of it?
> Something like "I'm done with the backup, remove the entry" ? Is it
> ok/correct to just do 'vos remove -id user.backup' after a backup is
> finished, or could it be leaved alone, and after the next 'vos backup user'
> it will be "recreated"?

First thought: are you out of drive space anywhere -- like where your AFS
databases live?

Otherwise: Since you appear to have a small cell, I'd "vos dump" your few
volumes (unless you have many other partitions with data on them), and
start over.  Shut down "fs"  and "vlserver", rm -rf /vicepa/*, rm -rf
/usr/afs/db/vldb* (or whatever path may be correct for your installation),
"fs" and "vlserver" start, and "vos restore" your few volumes.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]