[OpenAFS] OpenAFS directory update is SLOW. Performance tuning?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:44:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

> 1. CVS update is much faster under Linux: 13 sec.  Update on a direct local
> HD is 8 sec.

Ok, so the Windows NT client is slow, rather than the server or the
protocol generally. This makes me sad but is not really a shock.

> 2. Update under WinXP is still really slow at 1.5 minutes.  OpenAFS is
> implemented as a network share under Windows rather than a kernel-level
> filesystem as it is under Linux.  Is that where the slowdown is?

Most likely.

> 3. Unrelated to performance: CVS line endings are a pain when files are
> shared between WinXX and Linux.  If you check out under Windows, then update
> under Linux, CVS will think all the files are changed because their lines
> now end with CRLF.  I don't know how to turn that off.

dos2unix is my friend.