[OpenAFS] OpenAFS directory update is SLOW. Performance tuning?

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@burton-krahn.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:40:02 -0700

Hmmm... Maybe the difference in time is due to a large number of files?
Could you try
find . | wc?

The first time I did the update, it took 3 minutes.  The second try was 1.5
minutes under WinXP.

My AFS server is a PII-200, 64Mb, Linux-2.4.18, RedHat-7.2.  My client is a
PIII-900, 750Mb, WinXP.  The network is 10Mb ethernet.

My CVS repository remote over SSH (200Mb cable modem).  I'm running CVS over
ssh while in a directory in AFS under WinXP and Linux.  My CVS repository is
not on AFS.  Are you using SSH to get to your repository, or is your
repository under AFS as well?

(time passes...)

I've done some more tests, and found some results:

1. CVS update is much faster under Linux: 13 sec.  Update on a direct local
HD is 8 sec.

2. Update under WinXP is still really slow at 1.5 minutes.  OpenAFS is
implemented as a network share under Windows rather than a kernel-level
filesystem as it is under Linux.  Is that where the slowdown is?

3. Unrelated to performance: CVS line endings are a pain when files are
shared between WinXX and Linux.  If you check out under Windows, then update
under Linux, CVS will think all the files are changed because their lines
now end with CRLF.  I don't know how to turn that off.