[OpenAFS] vos command error while creating first AFS volume on Tru64 5.1A

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
15 Apr 2002 18:14:14 +0200

Jean-Pierre Vorlet <Jean-Pierre.Vorlet@unifr.ch> writes:

> While trying to install the first AFS server on Tru64 5.1A operating
> system using OpenAFS version 1.2.3, it was impossible to create the
> first AFS volume, root.afs !
>
> I have downloaded alpha_dux50.tar.gz at
> http://www.openafs.org/release/latest.html and followed exactly the
> instructions found at http://www.openafs.org/doc/index.htm.

The server should/might be compatible with Tru64 5.1, however i do
recommend to compile your own version. The client is NOT compatible
with 5.1 or 5.1a!

For the client you have to use the arla-client instead, the
openafs-client does not work at all. However i have never tested
running an arla-client on the same mchine as an openafs-server, but it
should work.

You could also buy afs from transarc, they have support for your OS.

> Everything was Ok until I use the following command to create the
> first AFS volume:
>  ./vos create siuf.unifr.ch /vicepa root.afs   \
>                              -cell unifr.cht  -noauth
>
> This command always return the following error message:
>
> Failed to create the volume root.afs 536870957
> : I/O error
> Error in vos create command.
> : I/O error

What does the serverlog's says ?

is the kernelmodule loaded ?

# sysconfig -s | grep afs

did you give any special configure-flags ?

could you exec the following command also:
# vos parti <server>

> I have tried to use UFS and AdvFS file system, but same result!
> Any help is appreciated.

you want to use UFS, dont use AdvFS, dont use AdvFS for the cache on
client's either.

/Jimmy