[OpenAFS] AFS, MIT Krb5, W2k

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:05:48 -0400

>I'm not sure, I guess that's why I'm asking questions about it.  Are you
>suggesting that it's not a good idea to use open-source products if we
>don't have someone on staff that understands the source?

Well, shoot.  This is a bit philosophical, but I would say that ...
yes, it's probably not the best idea to use open source products if you
can't fix or adjust them to your site (that's assuming you're not
paying someone for support).  I'm not talking a development "staff" ...
we just have a few guys here, for example, and I understand that's
typical.  From your description, it sounded like you don't have anyone
there who can compile anything.  It sounds like you guys would be
better off just using a commercial solution, or paying someone for
OpenAFS support.

--Ken