[OpenAFS] IBM withdrawing AFS

Esther Filderman ecf@psc.edu
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:37:49 -0400

> I also never saw IBM at any of the AFS Workshops I went to (but I

FWIW:

A Transarc sales rep came to the AFS *BoF* at LISA XI in San Diego in 1997.
Many people lambasted Transarc for various things, and the poor guy (who was
obviously overwhelmed by things) promised to bring back people's opinions to
management.

That's the last time I'm aware of a Transarcian showing up to any AFS-related
event at a Usenix conference.

The first time we did the AFS Workshop at LISA I invited Transarc to send
people.  The first time, they came close to sending a couple of people, even to
having them talk about where IBM was going with AFS.  Then at the last minute
they cancelled.  After that we gave up.  Note that this was before OpenAFS.

e.

     ecf@psc.edu     Esther Filderman    moose+@cmu.edu
           Senior System Mangler & AFS Dominatrix
               Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center