[OpenAFS] Brand new.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
20 Apr 2002 12:15:41 -0400

Martin <saunders1663@shaw.ca> writes:

> Hello everyone. I'm totally new and I need some general guidance.
>
> I'll present you with a hypothetical:
>
> I have 6 server machines (web,mail,file,etc). I want them all to share a common namespace/filesystem.
>
> Can I use AFS to create that environment? Can I have 1 machine that
> "exports" or provides the filesystem for all the others?

Yes, or you can even have multiple machines that combine to provide a
coherent filesystem for all the others!  Note that AFS does not
"export" a file system in the normal sense.  It's not like NFS, where
you can access data through the local file system or over the network.
Data in the AFS file space can _only_ be accessed through the AFS
interface.

> Thanks.

-derek