[OpenAFS] Some questions about the future of OpenAFS

Tim Gaastra tim@gaastra.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:23:53 -0700

>For this to happen, Rx needs to be able to deal with krb5, and it can't
yet, though there has at least been
>progress down this path (actually, GSSAPI, which gets you krb5).
Further, pts should likely have a way to deal
>with it, since existing sites won't want to have shadow/admin and
shadow.admin. There are doubtless other
>subtleties which will crop up. A simple "just rename foo.bar to foo/bar
and fix all the ACLs" would probably be
>easier, but painful for any site which piggybacks anything on pts.

Ah, well, I had figured that any such conversion would be GSSAPI based,
but basically you are saying one of the big hold ups is dealing with
legacy namespace issues. Is it the kind of thing that a "compatibility
mode" or automatic mapping would fix?

>Is there real time replication and floating master in OpenLDAP yet?
Throwing away functionality is something I
>find personally repugnant, though in this vein I speak only for myself.

Not exactly sure what you mean by real-time replication (although as far
as process of events, LDAP slave changes occur immediately after a
change to the master is made, since slurpd should see the need for
change immediately, AFAIK), but I hadn't thought of needing floating
masters... Yes, that would be nice to keep.