[OpenAFS] Some questions about the future of OpenAFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:40:18 -0700

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Tim Gaastra wrote:

>> 3) What are the moral and technical objections to tying some of the
>> databases (the ptserver, mostly, obviously this isn't the best idea for
>> the VLDB) to a kerberized version of LDAP (by which I mean an LDAP that
>> authenticates access via Kerberos)... "Why would anyone want to do
>> this?" Well, the biggest reasons I can come up with is centralization
>> of

> Is there real time replication and floating master in OpenLDAP yet?

Yes.

I'm not sure there's much gain in replacing the ptserver (which is as
stable as a rock; we have problems with the kaserver and very rarely some
problems with the VLDB, but I've *never* seen a problem with ptserver)
with a more complicated protocol when one can't do the same with the other
databases.