[OpenAFS] Recommendations?

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:55:37 -0500 (CDT)

> I will be creating an AFS network when the newest version of AFS (1.2.4)
> is available. My question is: Which is the 'better' platform to run AFS
> servers on? My choices are Solaris 2.6 (on a SUN Ultra 10) or any
> version of RedHat Linux (on a Dell PowerEdge 1300). It will not be a
> large network, approximately ten client machines (Which will run RedHat
> Linux). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've been quite pleased with Sun's performance and stability in the past.
However, running it on an Ultra 10 is pretty pointless.  Ultra 10s (and 5s
too) are basically just PCs with sparc processors stuck in them.  The
drives are IDE, the bus is PCI.  You might as well just run them on your
Dells. In my experience, Sparc's aren't good because of the processor --
they're good because of the quality hardware surrounding the processor.
I'd suggest maybe a SunFire 280.

[  t charles clancy  ]-[  tclancy@uiuc.edu  ]-[  uiuc.edu/~tclancy  ]