[OpenAFS] Common Wisdom, good practices for AFS

Michael Lasevich openafslist@lasevich.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:49:29 -0700

I am in the midst of installing and deploying an OpenAFS cell. I've been a
sysadmin for a long time, but I've never used AFS before, and only found it
because I was looking for an alternative to NFS/Samba/etc. It took some
time, but I now have a more or less working setup, almost ready to depoy.
But before I deploy

>From my experience I know that in doing anything,  there is usually a lot of
ideas and methods and conventions that accumulates from people's experience
of doing things the hard way, making mistakes, and working with people who
have more experience.   It is usually refered to as common wisdom.

As I have no personal experience with AFS and never worked with anyone who
had it, I am at a disadvantage here. I was wondering if somewhere there is a
depository of such common wisdom and ideas on the web.

For example, I've seen recently mentioned that it is a "Good Thing"(tm) to
have each user's home dir on their own volume - but it would be nice to know
what problem(s) that solves. What are the common backup practices? What are
the common fault tollerance practices? What bugs and pitfalls I should watch
out for?

If there isn't such a depository, I am willing to donate some web space to
build it - IF people are interested in contributing their ideas to it?

-Michael