[OpenAFS] Please...help... os x installation woes

Seth Delackner seth@jtan.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:09:10 -0400

"ubik: primary address 127.0.0.1 does not exist"

I installed openafs from the 1.23 package.  Following the ibm guide, I
first have to say the guide doesn't make any sense when compared to what
the package did to my machine.

ls /Library/OpenAFS/Tools/
bin/         include/     root.client/ root.server/
etc/         lib/         root.perf/

Following the directions, I made /usr/afs/bin and copied all the
binaries from Tools/bin over to it.  Now, I've been hitting my head on
this for about 8 hours, so the sequence is a little fuzzy here. First off,
I long ago killed afsd after rebooting and having it make everything unhappy.
My /usr/afs/etc/contents:
root# cat CellServDB
>delackner.afs  #Cell name
10.0.0.3    #mac.linux.bogus

[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root# cat ThisCell
delackner.afs[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root#  (notice no line ending on that, perhaps bad?)

"/usr/afs/bin/bosserver -noauth &" created the various directories in
/usr/afs. I then did "bos setcellname mac delackner.afs -noauth" (and
many variations of mac (the machine: mac, mac.linux.bogus (the fake
internal domain my dns has setup, 10.0.0.3 (its internal ip address).

Then ./bos create mac kaserver simple /usr/afs/bin/kaserver -cell delackner.afs  -noauth
Which adds the entry to the server list, but dies with:
"ubik: primary address 127.0.0.1 does not exist"

Looking all over google, someone suggested dns was broken.  That is likely, but:
(if the following is bad, then PLEASE email a reference set of named.conf and zones files).
I can even do "dig mac.linux.bogus", but not unqualified "dig mac" or "dig localhost".

[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root# host 127.0.0.1
1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer localhost
[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root# host mac
mac.linux.bogus has address 10.0.0.3
[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root# host mac.linux.bogus
mac.linux.bogus has address 10.0.0.3

[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root# ping mac
PING mac (10.0.0.3): 56 data bytes
[localhost:/usr/afs/etc] root# ping localhost
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

Lastly, if this is all just going nowhere then please suggest an alternative that is not Samba and is not NFS.  Neither is an option (the former because it can't deal with file permissions properly, the latter because the clients are extremely expensive).