[OpenAFS] Rebuild server??

JoelTompkins@BC.com JoelTompkins@BC.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:30:27 -0600

Two of our AIX AFS r/o replicate servers double as DB2 database servers =
(outside of AFS) for our e-commerce effort. We are in the process of =
upgrading WebSphere and DB2 on our e-commerce boxes, and have found the =
easiest method to be "cloning" a generic upgraded server to other boxes =
via tape backup. Then we change the hostname and IP addresses to what =
they should be and start the services desired on the box. This won't =
work with AFS, as the generic doesn't have AFS on it.

I'm toying with the idea of doing the generic clone to these boxes one =
at a time, and then going through a fresh AFS server and client install. =
I'm hoping that when it comes up, it will resync as it's original self, =
and place the data on vicepa that needs to be there. Does anyone think =
this will work? One of the two boxes is also the master, because it has =
the lowest IP address. There are only a total of three AFS servers, so =
I'm concerned that during the time there are only two, they won't reach =
a quorum and the whole thing will fall apart.

If this will work, it will be easier than upgrading and reconfiguring =
WebSphere and DB2, but does it sound too wild??

TIA!!!