[OpenAFS] Storing a CVS repository on AFS

seph seph@commerceflow.com
06 Aug 2002 12:25:08 -0700

> > Background:
>
> > I'm hoping to use AFS to improve read-times from a CVS repository.  We
> > currently have the repository set up at one location and access it
> > through a server via the CVS pserver (it's own TCP/IP client-server
> > stuff).
>
> My expectation is that you won't find you like this very well.  I've not
> tried the particular configuration that you're talking about, and it's
> possible that your current CVS pserver connections are really slow, but my
> experience is about a 25-50% slowdown on CVS operations by putting the CVS
> repository into AFS.  CVS does a lot of file creation and directory
> operations, and isn't particularly light-weight on the file system.  (Its
> backend storage method is not particularly efficient.)

I looked at this a little while ago, and found that the slowdown came
because cvs does a lot of locking, which isn't very fast on afs. You
can use a separate lockdir, but all the cvs clients either need the
same lockdir, or need to go through pserver.

You could force everyone to use a pserver, and have the repository
stored in afs, and the lock files in /tmp, but I don't think it's
really worthwhile.

seph