[OpenAFS] XDR_integer overflow and IBM/Transarc AFS issues

cball@bu.edu cball@bu.edu
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:37:33 -0400 (EDT)

I'm still running v3.5 IBM/Transarc database servers as that's the last
version for which we have sources.  The good news is that the XDR patches
easily apply so I'll be set for this particular event as soon as we've
completed testing and deploy the new build.  OTOH, back-porting patches
isn't a long term strategy.

Has anyone encountered issues with a transition from Transarc to openafs
database servers?  In particular, is the 3.5 -> 3.6 database upgrade code
still in openafs or is it necessary or desirable to upgrade to Transarc
3.6 prior to switching to openafs?  Also, is it safe to simply upgrade the
database server binary given an intact database or is it preferable to add
openafs servers to (and remove transarc servers from) an existing cell?

Charles Ball
Boston University