[OpenAFS] Windows port status?

Jason Garman jgarman@wedgie.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:52:25 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:52:48PM +0200, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 03:14:28PM -0600, JoelTompkins@BC.com wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in keeping the Windows GUI to simplify tasks,
>
> Well, I'm interested in the opposite. Is there a way to handle AFS under
> Windows without the GUI? Or any other way to simplify the usage.

Sure, all of the standard command line tools included with the Unix AFS
client are also available on Windows: fs, vos, bos...

> I haven't really used the Win-client, but I remember that you have to
> provide complete AFS-paths which would be mapped to drives.
>
> Imagine 1500 users where every path is of the form /afs/cell/home/$user.
> I want windows to use this as the home-directory/drive.

Just set up a login script for the users.  You'll need one anyway if you
want to use transparent authentication (through something like wake, for
example).  So our login script includes:

NET USE U: \\%COMPUTERNAME%-afs\users\%USERNAME% /persistent:no

that will map their U: drive to their home directory every time they log
in. Simple.  Note that the /persistent:no is required since otherwise it
will make the mapping persistent and when it automatically tries to
reconnect *before* they obtain tokens, the user will get a message saying
that the mapping fails... it tends to really confuse & annoy end-users.

We don't bother with storing all of the users' profile information and
stuff in AFS, just to keep from problems I've seen mentioned in the list
archives.  The way we deal with this is to set everyone's "My Documents"
folder to point to U:\, this way, everything that is saved in their "My
Documents" is actually stored in AFS space.  With properly trained users
this works really well.

Enjoy
--
Jason Garman / jgarman@wedgie.org