[OpenAFS] Red Hat Linux beta kernel implements AFS?

Rudolph T Maceyko rtm@cert.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:36:21 -0400

--On Tuesday, August 20, 2002 23:55:41 -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Rudolph T Maceyko wrote:
>
>> --On Monday, August 19, 2002 16:16:52 -0400 Derrick J Brashear
>> <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/linux-2.4.18-afs.patch
>>
>> Perhaps this will be slightly off-topic, but I think it will be of
>> interest to some folks.  I've taken a quick stab at using this AFS
>> implementation, and have it half working.  There's really no
>> documentation.
>
> which makes it only slightly worse than us?

Some of us have a decade of experience with Transarc-based AFS, so we
don't need the docs for that as much as we do for a new-fangled
implementation :-)

>> I'll also bring this up on the limbo-list.
>
> limbo-list?

That's the mailing list for the current Red Hat Linux beta.

>> There are no userland utilities, so you'd still need vos, fs, etc.
>> on a  box using it.
>
> fs not terribly useful since this doesn't have the pioctl interface.
> i'm not sure what their intention is (all /proc stuff or some pioctl
> interface or what)
>
>> No references to *krb* anywhere.
>
> no rxkad implementation included. not shocking as implementing rxkad
> just by looking at other code is messy and there's no docs.

I'm not sure what their intention is either.  The only place I've seen
*any* mention of this was in the release notes for their recent beta
releases.

Rudy