[OpenAFS] Reading files without caching

Mark Montague markmont@umich.edu
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

I'm writing a C program that will be reading 48,000 files from AFS, one
at a time.  The average size of each file is 24 KB, maximum size 10 MB.
Each file will only be read once.  Is there any way to tell the cache
manager not to bother caching a file?  Or to give the cache manager a
hint that a file will be accessed with only large sequential reads?

Basically I'm looking for any tips for improving performance in this
type of situation.  I scanned the pioctl() calls for AFS but nothing
leaped out at me as being an obvious solution.

Thanks in advance; will summarize.

                Mark Montague
                LS&A Information Technology
                The University of Michigan