[OpenAFS] Misc Tape Read/Write Errors

Jeffrey Rogers jdrogers@speakeasy.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:56:22 -0400

I am encountering misc read/write errors on tape operations and am
wondering if anyone can provide assistance in solving the problem.

1.  When I issue the command to label a tape I receive the following
output on the butc terminal:

butm: Tape close failed. Error 22
Warning: Can't close tape
	butm: error during tape close: Invalid argument
Labelled tape 2002080101 size 2097152 Kbytes

2.  When I issue the command to dump a volume to tape I receive the
following output on butc:

Warning: Tape error while reading label (will proceed with dump)
	butm: tape devce error: Input/output error
butm: Tape close failed. Error 22
Warning: Can't close tape
	butm: error during tape close: Invalid argument
users.20020817 (DumpId 1030112129): Finished. 2 volumes dumped

3.  When I issue the scantape command to the tape used above I receive
the following output on butc after the display of the what looks like a
valid "-- volume --" section:

Can't read FileBegin on tape
	butm: tape device error: Input/output error
Warning: Error in scanning tape - will try skipping volume
	butm: tape device error
Warning: Error in scanning tape - end-of-tape inferred
	butm: tape device error
butm: Tape close failed. Error 22
Warning: Can't close tape
	butm: error during tape close: Invalid argument

4.  When I issue the command to dump & append a to the working tape I
receive the following:

Can't append: Can't position to end of dump on tape users.20020817.1
	butm: unexpected tape datablock
butm: Tape close failed. Error 22
Warning: Can't close tape
	butm: error during tape close: Invalid argument

-I have tried different tapes.
-Tape drive is a scsi 2gb DAT DDS1 drive.
-Size of users volumeset is approx 600MB.
-Size of data volumeset (appended set) is approx 1GB.
-Tapeconfig reads "2g 3m /dev/st0 0" and I have tried 1g, 2m, & nst0.
-tar & mt commands seem to operate fine
-OpenAFS is version 1.2.6 installed on RH7.2 from rpms obtained from
openafs.org

Any assistance with the above errors would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Jeff Rogers