[OpenAFS] how?: Distribute /home to n Terminal Servers

Steve Wright paua@quicksilver.net.nz
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:26:43 +1300

Howdy Folks.

My Project is to distribute /home + UIDs + GIDs to multiple
installations of the K12LTSP thin-client Terminal Server (RedHat 7.3
based).  http://k12ltsp.org

The problem to be solved is - One Terminal Server does not handle more
than 20-30 thin-clients.

So I will load-balance with XDMCP, and distribute /home across an
arbitrary number of Terminal Servers - 2 to probably 6 machines. and
consequently 60-1000 terminals.

I have spent two days trying to install OpenAFS-1.2.6 and have found the
documentation extensive, but convoluted, and I still do not have a
running OpenAFS Server.

(clients cannot connect to volume server..)

# tcpdump
08:20:15.737879 ws004.ltsp.afs3-callback > server.ltsp.afs3-vlserver:
rx data vldb call get-entry-by-name-u "root.afs.readonly" (56) (DF)
08:20:15.738017 server.ltsp > ws004.ltsp: icmp: server.ltsp udp port
afs3-vlserver unreachable [tos 0xc0]

I also do not understand what machine should be the OpenAFS server, and
what machine the OpenAFS clients - or should there be more than one server..

I am hoping List Members can offer an overall perspective and starting
point for my project, and some assistance with the odd technical detail
thereafter.

Thank you for your assistance.

kind regards,
Steve