[OpenAFS] how?: Distribute /home to n Terminal Servers

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:15:04 -0500

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 08:26:43AM +1300, Steve Wright wrote:
> I also do not understand what machine should be the OpenAFS server, and
> what machine the OpenAFS clients - or should there be more than one server..

A typical configuration for a small AFS cell is to have 1 or 3 dedicated
AFS file & db servers (generally, you want to have an odd number of
database servers, so that in the event of a server going down, the servers
that are left can elect a new master server).

Larger cells will split the db functionality off to separate machines
from the file servers, and/or have more servers.

*every* machine that wants to access files that live in /afs needs to
be an afs client.  This includes AFS server machines.

For your configuration, I woudl recommend a single AFS file & db server,
which may or may not also be one of your XDMCP servers (i would tend
to have it on a separate machine).

Depending on what it is that you are trying to get by using AFS (eg,
access across multiple sites/client side caching, or security, or
what), you may find that NFS is sufficient for your needs.

You will definitely find that NFS is easier to set up and administer.

danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office