[OpenAFS] how?: Distribute /home to n Terminal Servers

Steve Wright paua@quicksilver.net.nz
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 11:29:33 +1300

Dan Pritts wrote:

Hi Dan,

I am subscribed to the list, so replying to the list only will be fine.  8-)

For multiple Terminal Servers, we have been NFS mounting /home on a
dedicated machine.  That is, none of the terminal servers actually
*have* a /home partition.  All Servers `mount /home -t nfs
<remote-machine>/home/`.

We are looking at an alternative because ;

a.  A backend /home NFS Server is a single point of failure, and it is
not easy to have this 'mount' failover in case this machine faults.

b.  The NFS Server is an unnecessarily 'extra' box, when the same
functionality could be provided by a distributed filesystem between
existing Terminal Servers.

c.  It is simpler.  The installed, complete system will be distributed
as a ISO Set, so there will be very few AFS configuration for the
sysadmin to deal with.

The load-balancer will direct a login attempt to any one of the desktop
servers and users would expect to have their account act as normal, with
all their files intact.

At the next login attempt, the same user may end up logged-in to an
entirely different machine, with different DFS cache contents, but we
need the  /home/<user>/* contents to be ready-synced for them to use.

I have examined all sorts of solutions over the last two months,
including `rsync`ing /home/<user>/* to all other machines on "user
logout", Intermezzo DFS, CODA DFS, and now I wish to test and examine a
solution with OpenAFS.

Please do tell me right away if I am entirely mis-directed.  8-)

>*every* machine that wants to access files that live in /afs needs to
>be an afs client.  This includes AFS server machines.

ok.  Since we have a small number of machines, what would be the
situation running *all* (max 10) machines as AFS Servers, and then
acting as their own clients,

>For your configuration, I woudl recommend a single AFS file & db server,
>which may or may not also be one of your XDMCP servers (i would tend
>to have it on a separate machine).

ok.  Will the clients still sync if the server is down ?  Will we still
have our single point of failure ?  Can more, or all of the Terminal
Servers act as OpenAFS Servers, as well as a client for the cell ?  Can
we then `mount` this cell as /home ?

>Depending on what it is that you are trying to get by using AFS (eg,
>access across multiple sites/client side caching, or security, or
>what), you may find that NFS is sufficient for your needs.

We simply want 2-10 Terminal/Application Servers that keep /home/* +
UIDs + GIDs sync'ed at all times.  All these Terminal/App Servers are on
the same physical Ethernet Segment, firewalled in, on one site, and
probably in the same rack - although it would be nice to distribute
across the complex/campus near their associated set of Terminals.

>You will definitely find that NFS is easier to set up and administer.

Oh Yes.  I agree.  But that functionality is limiting us now, and we
wish to move on.

Any and all comments would be most welcome.

TIA,
Steve