[OpenAFS] A few questions now

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:53:48 -0800

Ryan Underwood <nemesis-lists@icequake.net> writes:

> 1) Occasionally, clients will get kernel messages from the openafs
> client about "Waiting on busy volume blahblahbla".  What are these all
> about?  I know that the volume can't be busy, because nobody else is
> using the machine at the time. ;)

Er, what does that have to do with whether the volume is busy?

It means what it says, basically.  The AFS volume is busy.  Either it's
being moved to another server, it's being backed up, it's being released,
or some other operation is being performed on it that has it temporarily
locked.

> 2) Is there a way to make permissions "stick" in AFS like the unix
> setuid/sgid bits when applied to directories?  For instance, if I am
> kinit'd as an administrator, and I go to someone's home directory and
> make a directory, I would prefer if that new directory by default would
> retain the ACL of the directory above it, instead of being set to
> system:administrators only.

This is the default behavior of AFS.

> I have some problems with permissions seemingly "roaming" around at
> times, and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm making directories without
> taking note of what user I'm kinit'd as; so I find directories that I
> unexpectedly am unable to access as a regular user, etc.

I think you'll have to look for another explanation.