[OpenAFS] A few questions now

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:53:35 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> Ok, now that I fired off the other part of my diatribe, I have a few questions
> about stuff that I run into in my own AFS usage.
>
> 1) Occasionally, clients will get kernel messages from the openafs client
> about "Waiting on busy volume blahblahbla".  What are these all about?  I
> know that the volume can't be busy, because

something that has nothing to do with the volume being busy:

> nobody else is using the machine
> at the time. ;)  Something to be concerned about, or ignored?

something to be understood. when you clone a volume, for backup or
release, or when the server is restarting, this happens.

> 2) Is there a way to make permissions "stick" in AFS like the unix
> setuid/sgid bits when applied to directories?  For instance, if I am kinit'd
> as an administrator, and I go to someone's home directory and make a directory,
> I would prefer if that new directory by default would retain the ACL
> of the directory above it, instead of being set to system:administrators

it should do that, inside a volume. across-volume, no, and doing so is
hard, because you can mount volumes as many times as you want, and you
don't specify one at creation time. copy acl from what?