[OpenAFS] Backup-strategy

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:31:02 +0000

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 at 18:20:35, "Klaas Hagemann" <kerberos@northsailor.de>
wrote:
> We only use read-write volumes for home directories and group shares.
> I cannot use the afs backup-system, because it has to be combined with the
> global backup system using omniback from hp.
>
> The idea for backups is:
>
> we have read-only replicas from every volume in the main central. We update
> these read-only volumes using the vos release ore something like that.
> From these read-only clones, wich can be accessed via wide band-with we want
> to do full dumps and write them on tape.

Someone else said that you should use .backup volumes rather than
.readonly ones.  I'd like to add that there is no need to use omniback
with the AFS backup system.  We use the AFS backup system to dump
a large dump containing .backup volumes to a staging disk, from which
it can be backed up using any means you wish: in fact, we use legato.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk