[OpenAFS] [1.2.7] Strange file server meltdown

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:07:40 -0800

Nickolai Zeldovich <kolya@MIT.EDU> writes:

> The problem is that the server keeps responding to the Rx pings, so the
> client doesn't think the server is down, just slow.  And the Unix
> clients don't set a hard dead timeout by default, so it keeps trying
> forever.  On my own client builds, I use this change that makes things
> time out much faster:

This seems like an extremely useful modification.  Currently, we've been
using the prebuild clients.  Is this the sort of modification that would
make sense to go into the standard build, or should we be looking at
switching over to building our own clients?