[OpenAFS] Future of AFS? Interesting Ideas!?

Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:52:22 +1300

> Why should I want to admin LDAP Corp. Directory, PT DB and Kerberos?
> It`s very hard to keep it in sync.

  Not really. We have probably taken the hardest approach doing it all
in C but at the moment we have a user/password syncing system that keeps
2 MS ADs, a printing/IP qouta management system, a krb5 system (all with
(>200000) and and LDAP system synced (subset of 10000 users). We
populate PTS via perl scripts from ldap but will soon be moving it to C
programs using the afs libs as we move to improve speed and reliablity.
We will also be moving the ldap to edirectory from openldap and will
therefore be adding NDS to the systems supported.

The key is the metadirectory. If you have a good one then the rest is
easy but without one it's almost impossible. Novell's edirectory and
dirxml are a very nice off the shelve solution. All some one would have
to do is write an XML driver for afs and you would have a complete package.

Cheers

Matt