[OpenAFS] Small suggestion for RH spec file?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
29 Dec 2002 22:04:46 -0500

Paul Blackburn <mpb@est.ibm.com> writes:

> These are your personal RPMs built to suit your own needs
> and not the folks who use OpenAFS "out there"?

No, they are "general" RPMs built to suit the needs of MOST users of
AFS.  They do fit my needs, and the needs of most people out there.
And when someone out there finds something wrong, I'm usually pretty
good about adding the functionality.

However, I refuse to consider CellServDB a config-file; I refuse to
allow someone to shoot me in the foot by not updating CellServDB.
And, until recently, nobody had sent me code to do something "sane".
The new code, which was sent to me within the last two weeks,
allows sites to make some local changes to the CellServDB, but lets
me update the "global" one.

Also not that just because an entry is in CellServDB does NOT imply
that it is available.  If you are not using -afsdb, and if the cell
is not in /afs, then you don't have a problem...

> I submit that the problem of keeping a "global" CellServDB file
> current and up-to-date on OpenAFS clients is slightly out of scope
> for the "one off" install process. It would be more useful to

Eh..  I update it whenever I build new RPMs, so whenever someone
updates the RPM they get a "fresh" CellServDB.  NOT updating the
CellServDB leads to horrors, as Derrick can attest to.  I've had
to retire IP addresses because machines all over the world were
pounding it for AFS service years after the cell went away.

> Anyway, kudos to you for volunteering your time and effort to OpenAFS.
> It's appreciated,  tough guy!    :-)

Thanks.  It's generally a thankless job, and it certainly doesn't
pay well ;)

> cheers
> paul                        http://acm.org/~mpb

-derek