[OpenAFS] Small suggestion for RH spec file?

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:40:08 +0000

These are your personal RPMs built to suit your own needs
and not the folks who use OpenAFS "out there"?

I submit that the problem of keeping a "global" CellServDB file
current and up-to-date on OpenAFS clients is slightly out of scope
for the "one off" install process. It would be more useful to
establish a regular (maybe crontab) process which keeps
a client CellServDB file in sync (that's what I do).
Transarc AFS had a very useful "package" command
for keeping local client files in sync with "master" copies in /afs/@cell/.
It's a pity OpenAFS seems to have lost "package".

Perhaps also, it would be more appropriate to name the "global"
"CellServDB.global" file as "CellServDB.Internet" since that
is what it is. The tag "global" assumes it is ubiquitous. It's not.

Not everyone who uses OpenAFS is using it over the Internet.
You might be surprised to learn that there are non-public networks
that span the globe and do not exchange AFS traffic with Internet AFS sites.

Or maybe not.

Anyway, kudos to you for volunteering your time and effort to OpenAFS.
It's appreciated,  tough guy!    :-)
--
cheers
paul                        http://acm.org/~mpb