[OpenAFS] Small suggestion for RH spec file? (keeping CellServDB up-to-date on *nix clients)

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:54:33 +0000

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Paul Blackburn wrote:
>

>>>For machines which aren't "actively maintained" it's the best option we
>>>have.
>>>

>>Well, no. See that's the whole point of using a crontab process to
>>synchronise a local CellServDB.
>>It's automagical robot-tastical.
>>It just works.
>>

>But, whose cell do I nominate you to have contact with?

You don't. Why should you?
If I am looking after our site's /afs/@cell/common/CellServDB, then I am
capable of defining the cell
a client belongs to (eg our local site cell).

>Basically, I can't
>ensure you'll put a copy in whatever canonical location in your own, or
>update it if it's there.

You don't and I would not expect you to.
As a cell administrator, I expect all the clients in "my" local AFS cell
to use our site "master":

   /afs/@cell/common/CellServDB

which "our" AFS cell admins look after (eg merge the CellServDB.Internet
and CellServDB.oursite
or CellServDB.OurInaccessableUnluckyPrivateLANsite :-).
--
cheers
paul                               http://acm.org/~mpb