[OpenAFS] Small suggestion for RH spec file? (keeping CellServDB up-to-date on *nix clients)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:02:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Paul Blackburn wrote:

> >>Well, no. See that's the whole point of using a crontab process to
> >>synchronise a local CellServDB.
> >>It's automagical robot-tastical.
> >>It just works.
> >>

> >But, whose cell do I nominate you to have contact with?
> >
> You don't. Why should you?
> If I am looking after our site's /afs/@cell/common/CellServDB, then I am
> capable of defining the cell
> a client belongs to (eg our local site cell).

And what if that file doesn't exist, or what if it isn't actively
maintained?

> >Basically, I can't
> >ensure you'll put a copy in whatever canonical location in your own, or
> >update it if it's there.
> >
> You don't and I would not expect you to.

Then what am I misunderstanding? If you expect OpenAFS to include a cron
job, we have to know where to pull from. If you don't, then you're
proposing letting people solve an issue themselves and not addressed my
comment that "they don't"