[OpenAFS] Small suggestion for RH spec file? (keeping CellServDB up-to-date on *nix clients)

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:28:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Oops. That was supposed to be just to Paul, but I suppose it doesn't
> matter. We're probably getting too boring for the list generally.

Oh, not at all.  I'm eagerly awaiting a grand solution to this whole
problem.  :-)  We have IP addrs that will have to be permanently
retired as a result of this, too.  Cornell is going to start charging
by the bit for its internet connection in July.  In preparation for that
they have created some tools for customers to watch the b/w used for
each IP addr.  It's fascinating to look in these tools and see large
amounts of b/w used by IPs that were once AFS db servers but are not
presently in use at all.  My only options seem to be a) pay for the
b/w used by foreign AFS clients with ancient CellServDB files, or b)
ask the network folks to filter these IPs at the internet connection,
which prevents me from re-using them.

I suppose I could try what one industrious site did several years ago:
install a robot on these IPs that sent fairly polite nasty-grams to
sites with clients trying to talk to these addrs.  Anyone happen to
know if the code for doing that is around anywhere?

-Mitch