[OpenAFS] 1.2.2a Source Install on Linux 2.4

Victor victord@paid.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:22:33 -0500

> > > What linux distribution are you using?
> >
> > RedHat 7.2. But I am using kernel 2.4.17 from kernel.org
>
> Why don't you just use the RH 7.2 RPMs and just build yourself
> a kernel module?

The kernel module was built, I think.
/usr/afs/lib/openafs/libafs-2.4.17.mp.o
/usr/afs/lib/openafs/libafs-2.4.17.o

I don't want to be locked into RH solution. It's possible that some machines
will use CRUX or Beehive or some other distro and I want to be able to make
them into clients or servers as needed.

> > > How did you "configure" AFS when you built it from the sources?
> >
> > ./configure
> >   --prefix=/usr/afs \
> >   --with-afs-sysname=i386_linux24 \
> >   --with-linux-kernel-headers=/usr/src/linux
>
> Hrmm.. This is an odd path, but as you wish.  This will install all
> your stuff under /usr/afs (including your client code!) which means
> that /usr/vice wont exist like it would on a "normal" system.

What dir is "normal" ? I can recompile for that dir if you think that would
help. Why would adding prefix break the /usr/vice?

As far as path, I just wanted some place to keep all afs files together so I
can see them. I just chose that out of the hat. Is it a problem? If so, why
is prefix even given or why does docs not warn? It seems to me it should've
just put everything into prefix (in theory :). Any idea what I am doing
wrong?

> Did you run "make install" to install AFS?

Yep:
./configure -options
make
su
make install

> Do you already have Kerberos running?
>   If so, then you'll need to create yourself an afs key for the KeyFile
>   If not, then you should :)    (yes, you could run KAServer, but why?)

No, I don't yet have kerberos running, but I wanted to get this done first
(compile it and make it ready). Kerberos libs are on the system.