[OpenAFS] 1.2.2a Source Install on Linux 2.4

Derek Atkins openafs-info@openafs.org
01 Feb 2002 00:55:27 -0500

"Victor" <victord@paid.com> writes:

> I don't want to be locked into RH solution. It's possible that some machines
> will use CRUX or Beehive or some other distro and I want to be able to make
> them into clients or servers as needed.

Ok.  Is there any reason you don't configure with
--enable-transarc-paths so that it builds what would look like a
Transarc distribution?

> > > ./configure
> > >   --prefix=/usr/afs \
> > >   --with-afs-sysname=i386_linux24 \
> > >   --with-linux-kernel-headers=/usr/src/linux
> >
> > Hrmm.. This is an odd path, but as you wish.  This will install all
> > your stuff under /usr/afs (including your client code!) which means
> > that /usr/vice wont exist like it would on a "normal" system.
>
> What dir is "normal" ? I can recompile for that dir if you think that would
> help. Why would adding prefix break the /usr/vice?

Well, using the default prefix will put most data under /usr/openafs
or /etc/openafs, I believe.  I've never dealt with that part of the
system.  I always use --enable-transarc-paths.

> Ok, I found it. I needed to do "make dest" and that created the i388_linux24
> dir, and in there, there is
> drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Jan 31 19:31 root.client/
> drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jan 31 19:31 root.perf/
> drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jan 31 19:31 root.server/

I don't think "make dest" is reasonable unless you
--enable-transarc-paths.  The locations of the files wont be correct.

You should use _EITHER_ "make dest" or "make install" but not both.

> Can the same machine be a server and a client? Is /usr/vice the required
> dir? I would like to keep all afs binaries and configs in one place
> (/usr/afs sounds good). Can I just move these to /usr/afs/vice? However if
> this is too much work, I can live with /usr/vice.

Yes, one machine can be both server and client.

/usr/vice is not "the required dir".  It is the directory that is used
with --enable-transarc-paths, but it not the directory if you do not
use this flag.

I'm not sure what you mean by keeping all afs binaries and configs in
one place...  The Transarc way of doing it is to build a 'dest' tree
which gives you specific client and server trees and a set of shared
applications.  Is this what you mean?  In this case, /usr/vice is
where the client will _eventually_ get installed, and /usr/afs is
where the server will _eventually_ get installed.

> Why are server/client binaries separated from the other files that are
> installed using --prefix?

Because you are confused.

"make install" did install your client and server binaries.  They just
didn't install them where you thought to look for them.  Once you did
a "make dest" you just confused yourself even more, because it's going
to do the "wrong" thing.

> Any feedback welcome.

I'd recommend starting with the pre-built binaries.  Figure out how
AFS works.  Get it running.  _THEN_ start looking at building it for
yourself.  This will let you get through the learning curve easier,
rather than trying to get everything down your throat in one bite.

> Thanks in advance

You're welcome.

-derek