[OpenAFS] Re: can't cd to /afs

Derek Atkins openafs-info@openafs.org
04 Feb 2002 00:30:57 -0500

Mike Lee <mike.li@bamboonetworks.com> writes:

> afsmodname is not in openafs-kernel-source-1.2.3-rh7.2.1.i386.rpm , but

Right.  afsmodname is in the openafs-client package, and is
located in /usr/vice/etc.

> openafs-source-1.2.3-rh7.2.1.src.rpm
> however the packet openafs-source-1.2.3-rh7.2.1.src.rpm fail to be
> installed.

Huh?  Why are you installing openafs-source?  I said that you should
install "openafs-kernel-source".  There is a difference.

> ok, but it is very common that to recompile the kernel, for example,
> when you want to install Oracle.
> could make it more flexible to install. I guess it will depend
> distribution too much.

No, it is actually NOT very common to recompile the kernel.  MIT has
thousands of machines, and less than 1% of them are using a rebuilt
kernel.

And for the record, the install is fairly flexible.  You just seem
to be having more trouble than most people in installing the base
RPMs and building a new kernel module.

> BTW:
> why I do not install with rpm packet, because it fail during install
> client packet(script error).

This is a known bug.  Try with the newly released packages.

> BTW2:
> when I use the libafs built from openafs-1.2.3-src.tar.gz, It also get
> the same or more.
> In my opinion, recompile should not have that problem, everything is new
> and design for current running system

If you're getting a problem with your own built library, that implies
that the kernel you are running is not the same as the kernel sources
that you built against.  Unfortunately there is nothing that I or
anyone else can do to help prevent operator error.

-derek