[OpenAFS] New Book on "Linux Filesystems"

William von Hagen vonhagen@vonhagen.org
07 Feb 2002 20:18:27 -0500

I've lurked on this list for a long time, and have learned many of the
ins and outs of OpenAFS (I worked at Transarc and CMU, and am quite
familiar with AFS). Thanks! I'm finally posting to solicit feedback on
my recently-published book on "Linux Filesystems" (SAMS, ISBN
0672322722). This book discusses the use, theory, installation, and
integration of distributed and journaling filesystems on Linux, and also
discusses what I call 'filesystem adapters' - things like Samba, the NCP
tools, and netatalk, which graft together existing filesystems from
multiple platforms. Distributed-fielesystem-wise, the book talks about
OpenAFS (100 pages or so - background info, installing, administering,
USS, etc.) and NFS. As far as journaling filesystems go, it talks about
Ext3, JFS, the ReiserFS, and XFS journaling filesystems (overview,
patching the kernel, administering, using, etc.). I also used some
standard benchmarks (Bonnie, Postmark, etc.) to do some empirical
comparisons.

This isn't purely a promotional posting - I'd sincerely appreciate
feedback and suggestions if you know anyone who is trying to use one of
these filesystems and needs a how-to book and a reference. This list is
great for people who are already in the know, but I'm hoping that a
usable book on the subject will help popularize the use of filesystems
such as these.

Thanks!

  Bill von Hagen