[OpenAFS] Backup hierarchies ?

Martin Schulz schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
14 Feb 2002 10:00:46 +0100

Hello,

we started our AFS engagement some time ago, now it's time to switch
our backup system over. I have 2 questions at the moment:

a) Are there any objections against this part of AFS? The backup
system get seldomly mentioned on the mailing list, that may be because
it works so great or because nobody is using it for some reason...

b) From reading the administration manual, it did not get clear to me,
how to define the dump hierarchy. If I want to set up a weekly
incremental backup schme and keep the tapes 7 weeks each, do I need to
define this hierarchy eight times? The example in the section "To
display the dump hierarchy" makes me think so, though I find this
rather irritating.

My way of thinking rather suggests to apply the same dump hierarchy to
different tapes at different times, thus one hierarchy sould
suffice. Can anybody explain that?

Yours,
--
Martin Schulz                             schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
Uni Karlsruhe, Institut f. wissenschaftliches Rechnen u. math. Modellbildung