[OpenAFS] The status of Windows support...

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:46:31 -0500

Hi,

I've been a user of Transarc's AFS for some time now.  Our group started
back in 1991 on Sun Solaris machines, then in 1997 added Windows NT x86
machines to our growing network.  We've been using AFS as our core file
system since the beginning.

Now that Transarc has decided to cease new features to AFS and remain in a
support service mode of operations we are looking into switching to OpenAFS
as our future file system.  But, there is a problem.  Since we are moving
to Windows XP as the primary platform for our PC network we are wondering
what the level of support will be from the OpenAFS community.

Last week I posted a question to the info list about a problem I am having
with Windows XP and OpenAFS.  This problem has gone unanswered by the info
community.  Am I to assume that since this is a Windows problem it will not
be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, or ever?

I've been going through the list archives trying to determine what the
status of the AFS community is relative to Windows support.  What I've
found is disappointing.  It is my impression that there are only a few
people in the group who know anything about Windows.  Since Windows
accounts for most of the desktops in our industry it appears that OpenAFS
might not be a viable file system to use for Windows machines in the
future.  This would cause a separation of our PC and Unix files.

I personally like AFS and would like to see it continue.  It is the only
file system available that I know of that will allow a global managed
namespace with replication and fail-over.  It also has many other features
that distinguish it among other file systems in the industry.

We are currently in a position to decide on whether we will use OpenAFS for
our summer XP rollout.  The prognosis at this point is not encouraging.  We
can currently use Transarc's AFS because it seems to work ok, even though
it isn't certified for XP compatibility.  On the other hand we could switch
to OpenAFS, but it doesn't work.

Can I get a heads-up on where OpenAFS is going and why no one has resonded
to my particular XP problem?  (original problem message at bottom of this mail)

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
PC Systems Programmer
College of Engineering Computing Services
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352