[OpenAFS] adding a ping test to /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:28:36 +0000

Hello,

I have found it useful to add a ping test to verify connectivity
to one of our cell's database servers.
If the ping fails then we don't attempt to start AFS
(otherwise bad things might happen, eeek!).

Why is this helpful? I use an laptop computer which gets
moved around different networks. It may or may not have
connectivity to our local AFS cell.

It's handy to have this check done automatically at system start time.
It also follows that I do not modify my PAM files to get
AFS authentication at login (as I would on a "static" machine).

I have placed a copy of my modified /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs
run command file here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/images/afs

It should work for most cells. Use at own risk, no guarantees.

I hope others may find this useful.
--
cheers
paul                                http://acm.org/~mpb