[OpenAFS] fetchmail / procmail / afs

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:49:49 -0600 (CST)

> Is anybody using fetchmail/procmail from the ~/bin in their AFS
> account? Fetchmail segfaults on me as soon as I run it. Note that my
> fetchmail/procmail setup works fine from a non-AFS account.

You might be able to get more information about the problem with gdb, if
it leaves a core:
$ gdb ~/bin/fetchmail core

> Anybody else running such a setup? Any experience welcome. Even just
> to tell me it works, so I know it's an error in my setup.
>
> Also, I'm trying to keep everything local, meaning I'm trying not to
> use a local spool directory on anny box.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I bet there's an easier way.
There have been numerous debates on the list about having mail delivered
directly to $HOME/.INBOX vs /var/mail/$USER.

In my experience, I've found that having 1 mail server with inboxes in
/var/mail, and IMAP folders in ~/mail works best, especially in a PINE
environment.  That way, PAM-based IMAPd can access both your inbox and
IMAP folders.  Some of the rsh tricks for bypassing IMAP authentication
with PINE still work because it already has access to ~/mail, and can get
to imap://inbox without authenticating to the mail server (given a
reasonable rsh setup).

If you're worried about mail being delivered to /var/mail on local
workstations, configure sendmail as a subsidiary server, and it will just
pass the mail along to the main mail server.

--
t. charles clancy <> tclancy@uiuc.edu <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy