[OpenAFS] fetchmail / procmail / afs

John Bleichert syborg@vonbek.dhs.org
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:32:31 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Charles Clancy spewed forth:

> > Is anybody using fetchmail/procmail from the ~/bin in their AFS
> > account? Fetchmail segfaults on me as soon as I run it. Note that my
> > fetchmail/procmail setup works fine from a non-AFS account.
>
> You might be able to get more information about the problem with gdb, if
> it leaves a core:
> $ gdb ~/bin/fetchmail core

Whoa! Good idea. Although, it's not dumping core (which in itself is
puzzling). I'll try it - sounds like a good excuse to learn gdb.

<snip>
> I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I bet there's an easier way.
> There have been numerous debates on the list about having mail delivered
> directly to $HOME/.INBOX vs /var/mail/$USER.

I've played around with a few variations on that theme. I went for quite a
while running fetchmail/postfix/imap and it was convenient, but I still
needed to run fetchmail to get email from my pop3 account. I'd much rather
include an account-local fetchmail/procmail setup, it just seems cleaner.
Now, if my ISP didn't block me on port 25 and I could run a proper
mailserver, this would all be academic ;-)

> In my experience, I've found that having 1 mail server with inboxes in
> /var/mail, and IMAP folders in ~/mail works best, especially in a PINE
> environment.  That way, PAM-based IMAPd can access both your inbox and
> IMAP folders.  Some of the rsh tricks for bypassing IMAP authentication
<snip>

I'm not sure what you mean by that - wouldnt mail then go to both folders?
Also, I want to filter my mail pre-delivery, wouldn't I then need to do it
on the central mail server ?

Thanks for the food for thought!

JB