[OpenAFS] Automated backups

Charles Clancy security@ismene.csl.uiuc.edu
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:34:36 -0600 (CST)

> The backup script is quite simplistic:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> day=$(date +%A)
> vos backupsys -verbose

Isn't this normally implemented as a bos service?

My bos status has:

Instance backupsys, (type is cron) currently running normally.
    Auxiliary status is: run next at Thu Feb 28 04:00:00 2002.
    Process last started at Wed Feb 27 03:00:35 2002 (3 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Feb 27 03:05:25 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/vos backupsys -localauth'
    Command 2 is '4:00'

> cat backup.$day | sed 's/^/backup dump /' | sh
> backup savedb
>
> [snip]
>
> butc is indeed a problem as well. It seems to need a lot of rights as well,
> and doesn't undesrtand -localauth. As I never need to interact with it (all
> backups are made to file, these files are copied some time later in the night
> to off-site storage), I can probably fire it up just before the backup script
> and kill it when I'm done.

It should.
$ butc -help
Usage: butc [-port <port offset>] [-debuglevel <0 | 1 | 2>] [-cell <cell
name>] [-noautoquery] [-localauth] [-help]

When I used to do AFS administration, I'd log in at the console of the AFS
server as root, open two dtterm's, do a butc -localauth in one, and a
backup -localauth in the other.

--
t. charles clancy <> tclancy@uiuc.edu <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy