[OpenAFS] mysterious vos problem

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:55:15 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Nicholas Basila wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     We have a cell including three fileservers (Sparc - Solaris 7)
> running OpenAFS 1.2.0 and one of the fileservers mysteriously stopped
> working today/last night. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when it stopped
> working - though I suspect it was sometime around the times that the
> backups happen. To fix it, I had to restart vlserver, and it launched a
> salvage operation, and then everything started working again (though I
> did notice that the vlserver restart ended up restarting everything). I
> can't find anything terribly interesting in the logs, but I did save
> them. I do see:

Do you have one vlserver? What OS are you running? Is it possible the
default 4am Sunday restart failed to complete only for the vlserver
(which wedged, I'd guess, though I've neither seen that nor reports of
it) and the other restarts you noticed were simply the default 4am
restart? It wouldbe useful to have bos status -long information from
before and after, the output of bos getrestart, and to know what time this
happened.

-D