[OpenAFS] Re: mysterious vos problem

Nicholas Basila nbasila@bottlecapnotes.com
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:25:24 -0500

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:55:15 -0500 (EST)
> From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
> To: openafs-info@openafs.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] mysterious vos problem
>

> Do you have one vlserver? What OS are you running? Is it possible the

Well, from the message:
We have a cell including three fileservers (Sparc - Solaris 7)

    So, we have three E220 Sun servers running Solaris 7. All three are
running vlserver and all three are database servers.
Output of bos getrestart

# bos getrestart othello
Server othello restarts at sun 4:00 am
Server othello restarts for new binaries at 5:00 am
 output of bos status -long

# bos status -long othello
Bosserver reports inappropriate access on server directories
Instance upclientetc, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 09:59:34 2002 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 09:59:33 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/upclient napoleon /usr/afs/etc'

Instance upclientbin, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 09:59:34 2002 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 09:59:33 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/upclient napoleon -clear /usr/afs/bin'

Instance fs, (type is fs) has core file, currently running normally.
    Auxiliary status is: file server running.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 10:09:04 2002 (5 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 10:09:04 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/fileserver'
    Command 2 is '/usr/afs/bin/volserver'
    Command 3 is '/usr/afs/bin/salvager'

Instance kaserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 09:59:34 2002 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 09:59:33 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/kaserver'

Instance buserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 09:59:34 2002 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 09:59:33 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/buserver'

Instance ptserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 09:59:34 2002 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 09:59:33 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/ptserver'

Instance vlserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Wed Jan  2 09:59:34 2002 (2 proc starts)
    Last exit at Wed Jan  2 09:59:33 2002
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/vlserver'

    Unfortunately, I can't give you the bos status -long from before it
happened, as I don't have a copy of such a listing. I noticed the
"Bosserver reports inappropriate access on server directories" message.
However, that is just an issue with the directory/file permissions and
would not affect normal operation (by the way, I checked permissions,
and they seemed to correspond to the documentation.
    Again, I'm not sure when the access to the file server failed. Would
it help to see the core file generated upon the vlserver restart I
initiated?

> default 4am Sunday restart failed to complete only for the vlserver
> (which wedged, I'd guess, though I've neither seen that nor reports of
> it) and the other restarts you noticed were simply the default 4am
> restart? It wouldbe useful to have bos status -long information from
> before and after, the output of bos getrestart, and to know what time
this
> happened.
>
> -D

Thanks,