[OpenAFS] OpenAFS hangs Finder on MacOS X 10.1 when AFS server vanishes?

Samuel L. Bayer sam@mitre.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:20:47 -0500 (EST)

All -

I've been having a problem with OpenAFS on MacOS X 10.1, and I can't
find any mention of it on the mailing list yet. Occasionally, the
Finder will hang; I'll get the beachball forever and I won't be able
to start other applications, and if I try to telnet in, I never get a
prompt. In /var/log/system.log, I find messages like the following
(sanitized) at times suspiciously close to the times the Finder hangs:

Jan  4 14:24:27 foo mach_kernel: afs: Lost contact with volume
location server a.b.c.d in cell bar

My only recourse at these times is to restart, since I can't manage to
get my machine to respond in any way that would allow me to kill
enough processes to proceed. Even when the relevant server returns to
the land of the living, the Mac doesn't recover.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior? Does anyone have any
suggestions? Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance -
Sam Bayer
The MITRE Corporation