[OpenAFS] kaserver

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:22:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, David J. M. Karlsen wrote:

> I installed the openafs-kpasswd package - this should be "equvalent" to
> Kerberos right?

No. It's the kpasswd binary only for talking to a kaserver.

> so - reading the IBM manuals - and they refer to they refer to a
> kaserver - which I don't have. kas is there - but it has no server to
> talk to.

The install script probably suggests you use a kerberos 5 server, and asks
if you meet the prerequisites (the "server" install script). If you do
use kerberos 5, that also has an install script which will set up a realm
for you. If you do this, the openafs scripts should then set up the rest
of a server for you.

> also - the pammodules are not installed - and I can't find them
> anyewhere. I see the sourcefiles are under the modules directory - but
> this should only provide openafs.o - the module for my kernel ??? seems
> like there is a lot of other stuff in this dir as well? am I missing
> something with this package? Alle the readme's I've been reading only
> tells me to make my kernel , unpack the module and run a make-kpkg
> modules_image (which works fine). ???

I can't comment on why the pam modules aren't packaged but if you install
a kerberos 5 server, you'd be using other modules anyway.

-D